Saturday, October 23, 2010

Chimichurri Eggplant Dip

Just a quick entry.  I think this may be a complete original.  I had two small eggplants, not enough to use as a main entree, so I though I might try to make some baba ganoush.  I always enjoy this rich, garlicky eggplant dip, and like saying "baba ganoush" even more!  Lo and behold, when I realized I had no tahini, and that making said tahini would take a day and a lot of labor, I looked for an alternative.  After a little research, I found a couple of roasted eggplant dip recipes, but didn't have all the ingredients for any of them.  So I took what I had and improvised.
Ingredients:
2 small eggplants
1 small head of garlic
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
a small bunch of flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
juice of 1 small lemon
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
salt
pepper

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Clean the outside of the eggplants well, pierce multiple times with a fork, rub with olive oil, or spray with olive oil cooking spray, and roast with the ball of garlic until very soft, about 20 minutes.
After roasting, squeeze the garlic out of the skins into a blender
Peel the eggplant, cut into pieces and also put into the blender.
Roughly chop the parsley and add to the blender, with the rest of the ingredients.
Pulse blend until ingredients are incorporated, then blend till smooth and serve with pita chips.
Delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment