Sunday, September 12, 2010

Lazy Sunday Part 1. Black Bottom Banana Bread

I am not very experienced when it comes to baking.  It doesn't fit in as well with my practice of not following recipes or directions.  Today I broke with tradition and decided to use up the overripe bananas that were hanging around and make some banana bread. (This was after only using two of them in the fried banana topping for the chocolate chip waffles I made for the boys.)
 I did my usual recipe trolling on the internet and decided on a black bottomed banana bread with a crumb topping.  Of course, after I started following the recipe, I realized I didn't have all the ingredients that it called for, so I went off script and the results were better than usual this time!

Ingredients:
Bread:
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
3 overripe 7" (average) bananas
1 3/4 cup all purpose flower
1 egg
1tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Crumb Topping:
1/4 cup Bisquick
3 Tbsp rolled oats
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter (softened)

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9" loaf pan
Mix the butter and sugar until creamy, then add the bananas...
mixing until... uh... mixed.
Add the rest of the dry ingredients and the egg, and mix until smooth.
Separate the batter into two roughly equal amounts, and mix two tablespoons cocoa (I used Ghiradelli) into half.

Pour the chocolate half into the pan, then pour the rest of the batter on top.
 Mix the crumb topping ingredients in a bowl with a fork until crumbly, and pour on top of the rest.
Bake in a 350 degree oven 35 minutes or until a cake tester (I use a toothpick) comes out clean.
Cool for at least 20 minutes.

Eat delicious chocolatey banana bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment