Monday, September 13, 2010

Mango Salsa Verde

I love a good Salsa Verde! The problem is I haven't encountered too many good jarred ones.  When I found out that we would be able to pick Tomatillos at our farm share, I was excited to make some myself.
Now I don't know if the tomatillos at the farm are all small due to being organic, or if we just didn't get to the larger ones in time, but the ones at left are the average size available, ranging from around 1/3 the size of the ones at the supermarket to the size of grape tomatoes.  This increases the labor, but there is no sacrifice in flavor! In fact, since I roast them under the broiler, the smaller they are, the more surface area gets that roasted flavor.
After removing the husk and rinsing well with cold water, I place them in a roasting pan and roast them on the top rack of the oven with the broiler set to high.  Here they are just before roasting, with an assortment of allegedly hot peppers, also picked at the farm share.
They will release a decent amount of liquid, so I put them on aluminum foil with the edges folded up.
...and just after roasting.
I should note here that I forgot to roast my garlic.  Usually for this amount of tomatillos, I would roast 5 or 6 cloves of garlic.  Since I forgot, I did it later, and didn't photograph it.
The peppers have been removed, and the tomatillos and juice are ready for the blender...
...like so.
They will sit there for a few minutes, while I clean the peppers.
I cleaned the peppers, removing all seeds and some of the charred skins.  I tasted one or two, and realizing that they were quite mild, added around half of them to the blender, along with the roasted garlic, about 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, the juice of 1/2 lime (3 Tbsp-ish), 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and some fresh ground black pepper.
Pulse blend until you get tired of that...

and then put the blender on the lowest setting until it stops making funny grinding noises.
Pour finished Salsa Verde into a bowl, and stir in some chopped fresh mango.  I used about 1 1/2 cups.
Here is the finished Mango Salsa Verde.  We used it as a sauce for freshly pan fried Boneless Pork Chops, and will use it on the fish Tacos I plan to make later this week.  Hopefully, I will get out to pick some more of these tasty little flavor bombs next Saturday as well!
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Nom Nom! It was a hit at your house, Lee - though I think it was plain, no mango?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, mango was an addition for the second weekend's batch. Just picked a bunch more tomatillos today....can't wait for the next salsa verde incarnation!!!!

    ReplyDelete